Yup, we’ve made the claim. This is the best banana bread recipe. We get it, everyone claims to have the best version of a recipe- but we think this is a serious contender. This loaf cake has been a recipe in the making for years. It’s taken lots of bananas, lots of butter and most importantly lots of taste testers to get this recipe right.
The key, like most banana bread’s is to use very ripe bananas. We like them almost black- peel and stick them in your freezer if you can’t stand the smell, simply defrost before use.
PHOTOGRAPHY: SUECH AND BECK
½ cup + 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
5 very ripe bananas
2 Tsp lemon juice
1 Tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup plain Greek yoghurt
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1 Tsp baking soda
1 Tsp baking powder
¼ Tsp salt
1 Tsp cinnamon
½ cup chopped walnuts or dark chocolate chips
1 Tbsp Demerara or Cane sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a standard loaf tin and line with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk butter and sugars until pale in colour, about 2 minutes. Add egg and whisk well to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, mash 4 bananas with lemon juice and vanilla. Stir through yoghurt. Add banana mixture to egg mixture, mixing well.
4. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together then fold into the wet ingredients. Fold through toasted nuts or chocolate chips.
5. Carefully slice the last banana lengthways. Place on top of the mixture and sprinkle with extra sugar.
6. Scrape into a loaf tin and bake until golden brown, about 60 minutes. You can also test it with a skewer until it comes out clean.