This is a warm and smokey flavoured soup, perfect for those cold winter nights (especially if you’re based in Canada). If you can’t find the chipotle peppers, sub in some tomato paste and a bit of extra smokey paprika for that kick.
PHOTOGRAPHY: DAN ROBB/ PROP STYLIST: GENEVIEVE WISEMAN
½ red onion, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1.5 cups)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, finely chopped (seeds removed, optional), plus extra for garnish
2 Tbsp chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1 Tsp chili powder
1 Tsp smoked paprika, divided
1(28oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed (San Marzano)
1L chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup frozen and defrosted corn
1 cup black beans
2 cups leftover chicken meat, shredded
Juice of one lime, plus extra wedge for serving
½ cup cilantro leaves, picked
½ cup Queso cojita or feta cheese
Kosher salt and Ground Black pepper, to taste
1. Combine the red onion and wine vinegar in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Allow to sit and macerate while you prepare the soup.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot. Sauté the onion until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeno, cooking until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the chipotle, chili powder, smoked paprika and stir well to combine. Add the tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Check for seasoning then add the corn, black beans and shredded chicken. Cook for 15 minutes.
5. Season the soup with lime juice. Divide between bowls and top with pickled onion, avocado, cilantro and cheese.